By Tom Lloyd, La Jolla, California, April 24, 2018: The International Surfing Association (ISA) is proud to announce today the formation of a new Athletes’ Commission to ensure that athletes’ opinions are heard at the highest level of governance in Surfing, StandUp Paddle (SUP), and all surf-related disciplines (Justine Dupont Barbara Kendall).
France’s Justine Dupont, who has medalled across three ISA disciplines (Shortboard, Longboard, and SUP), has been appointed the Chair of the commission.
Dupont most recently earned Team Gold at the 2017 ISA World Surfing Games and individual Silver in SUP Surfing at the 2017 ISA World SUP and Paddleboard Championship.
Barbara Kendall (NZL), ISA Vice President, Chair of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) Athletes’ Commission, and five-time Olympian will serve as the Ex Officio of the commission.
The full ISA Athletes’ Commission will be comprised of the following members:
Justine Dupont (FRA)
Barbara Kendall (NZL)
Dylan Lightfoot (RSA)
Alana Nichols (USA)
Masatoshi Ohno (JPN)
Casper Steinfath (DEN)
Miguel Tudela (PER)
Ella Williams (NZL)
The ISA Athletes’ Commission will operate with the following objectives:
• To represent the rights and interests of the athletes to the ISA Executive Committee
• To ensure the athletes’ opinion is heard at the highest level of governance of Surfing, Stand Up Paddling and all surf-related disciplines
• To proactively consider issues relating to athletes and give advice to the ISA on athlete-related matters
• To provide current and past international athletes with the opportunity to contribute to the continuous development, evolvement and growth of the sport of Surfing, Stand Up Paddling and all surf-related disciplines
• To liaise with the Athletes Committee of the International Olympic Committee and other sporting organisations to enable the sharing of information and research
ISA President Fernando Aguerre said:
“What an amazing group of high character people to represent the athletes of Surfing, SUP, and all of their disciplines in the ISA!
We are proud and honored that these accomplished athletes have accepted to join our commission, which features gender equality and athletes from all continents of the globe. This group is a great representation of the inclusive nature of the sport of Surfing.
“These athletes will play a vital role in the development and growth of Surfing as we head into the final stages of preparation for Surfing’s Olympic debut at the Tokyo 2020 Games. We will be heavily weighing these athletes’ advice and recommendations to take their interests into account when making high-level decisions.
“I welcome this great team to the ISA family and look forward working closely with them to promote the well-being and growth of Surfing worldwide.”
ISA Athletes’ Commission Chair, Justine Dupont (FRA), said:
“I am honored to accept the ISA’s invitation to chair the Athletes’ Commission. As a long-time ISA competitor and professional surfer, I am looking forward to taking a leadership role where I can make positive change for the sport that I love.
“The commission will be diligent and thorough in making sure that we are passionately representing the vision and interests of all athletes of all genders, disciplines, and nationalities, to ensure that we continue the positive growth of Surfing and on track to a great showing at Tokyo 2020.” —- ISA
Share on Facebook