ECSS Barcelona 2013 in brief: Host institution – Congress venue – city of Barcelona: The National Institute of Physical Education of Catalonia, INEFC, is proud to host the ECSS Congress in 2013.
INEFC is a higher education centre set up by the Government of Catalonia whose mission is to train physical education and sports professionals and help them specialise and improve, as well as carrying out scientific research. Originally founded in 1975, INEFC joined the Barcelona Olympics’ spirit and moved to its current headquarters in the Olympic ring area in 1992.
INEFC is located in an excellent setting, right at the centre of the Olympic Ring on Montjuïc hill. Next door to some of the main tokens of Barcelona’s Olympic dream, such as Calatrava’s sculpture-like communication tower, the historical Lluís Companys Olympic Stadium or the beautifully built sports arena, Isozaki’s Palau Sant Jordi, INEFC benefits from the best of both worlds.
Montjuïc hill provides a refreshing spot of nature and tranquillity inside the city while being within walking distance of Barcelona’s efficient public transport network and a number of hotels of different categories. Barcelona international airport, serving over 123 European airports and another 30 major airports outside of Europe, is conveniently located just 13 km away.
Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and the second largest city in Spain, after Madrid, About five million people live in the Barcelona metropolitan area. It is also Europe’s largest metropolis on the Mediterranean Sea. Barcelona is today one of the world’s leading tourist, economic, trade fair/exhibitions and cultural-sports centres, and its influence in commerce, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world’s major global cities. It also boasts an extensive motorway network and is a hub of high-speed rail to link Spain with France and the rest of Europe. from wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
Scientific Programme: Unifiying Sport Science
We have built an enviable congress programme covering the full range of disciplines in Sport and Exercise Sciences as well as sport medicine. We have attracted an eminent team of international speakers from Europe and around the globe to deliver our Plenary and Invited Sessions.
Young Investigators Award sponsored by Mars Inc.
One of the key objectives of the ECSS is the promotion of junior scientists and the fostering of state-of-the-art research. For this purpose the ECSS established the Young Investigators Award (YIA). Again in Barcelona the Young Investigators Award will be a key highlight of the Congress.
GSSI Nutrition Award
Abstracts submitted in the area of nutrition may opt in to apply for the GSSI Nutrition Award during the abstract submission process. The winner will be awarded during the closing ceremony of the congress.
Workshops: EWSS 2013 – ‘Scientific Grants’ at ECSS Barcelona 2013
At ECSS Barcelona 2013 the EWSS will be addressed to young researchers at the starting point of their career. The ECSS would like to help promote their scientific careers by introducing possibilities to fund scientific projects. Attendees will get an overview of the multitude of European scientific grants and how to apply for those. In addition a best practice example shall be introduced.
• 15th of December 2012, 24:00 CET
Abstract submission opening and opening of registration
• 15th of February 2013, 24:00 CET
Abstract submission deadline
• 1st of April 2013, 24:00 CET
Notification to authors about acceptance
• 15th of April 2013, 24:00 CET
End of Early bird registration
• 1st of May 2013, 24:00 CET
Deadline for registration for presenting authors
• 15th of May 2013, 24:00 CET
E-poster submission opening
• 1st of June 2013, 24:00 CET
Deadline for e-poster submission via ECSS account
* CET = Central European Time
The ECSS congress offers you a wide range of social events outside of the scientific programme.
All functions are included in the congress registration fees, unless indicated differently.
• This is the official opening of the Congress and will feature an Opening addresses from the congress presidents and the ECSS president together with some local entertainment.
• The Opening Ceremony will be followed by an Opening Reception also being the official opening of the exhibition with some finger food and drinks.
ECSS General Assembly
• All ECSS members are invited to join the ECSS General Assembly to be informed on latest facts and figures and the development of the society.
YIA Cocktail Party sponsored by Mars
• Since the very beginning, it has been the pleasure of Mars Incorporated to sponsor the ECSS Young Investigators Award. This year Mars Inc. invites all former YIA winner together with the top 10 candidates of each category of this year’s congress to a small restricted cocktail party.
Friday Night Out in Barcelona
• Delegates will be provided with a meeting location to start the evening together and explore the fabulous night life of Barcelona on the Friday night.
• The Closing Ceremony will immediately follow the Young Investigator Awards and will feature Thanks and Goodbye from Barcelona and a presentation from the 19th Annual Congress ECSS Amsterdam 2014 in the Netherlands.
ECSS Congress Party
• The Congress Party will take place in a scenic Barcelona location on the Saturday night. It will be the time to celebrate, dancing being compulsory.
Travel to Barcelona
• By Plane: Barcelona has a large international and domestic airport with frequent direct flights from most international destinations. More than 125 airlines operate from Barcelona International Airport (BCN), being only 20 minutes away from the congress venue.
• By Tain: The high-speed train AVE connects Barcelona with the European rail network via Madrid within 2.5 hours.
• By Car: Barcelona may be reached from several destinations. It is approximately a 90 minute drive from the French boarder to Barcelona.
• Public transportation around Barcelona: Barcelona has an excellent underground system including eight metro lines, a frequent bus network and more than 11,000 reasonably priced taxis.
For ECSS Barcelona 2013 the ECSS announces the YIA Travel Grant with a total amount of up to 5.000 Euro (max 10 grants, 500 Euro each).
YIA applicants*** may apply for one of the 10 YIA Travel Grants within the YIA application process.
***Only applicable for these [countries].
ECSS and Gatorade Sports Science Institute promote the “GSSI Young Scholar Travel Grant”. This travel grant is offered to young scholars from “outside of Europe” to attend the annual ECSS congress. Young researchers (32 years of age or younger at the time of ECSS Barcelona 2013 (born after 29th June 1980)) working in the field of sports nutrition and hydration are encouraged to apply by submitting a CV, publication list and letter of motivation to the ECSS. ECSS membership is mandatory. All applications will undergo thorough review. Four candidates shall be receiving a grant of two Thousand Euro (2.000 €) each, to cover travel expenses to the 18th annual congress of the European College of Sport Science – ECSS Barcelona 2013.
As tourists throughout the year intensively visit Barcelona, the ECSS has negotiated a large number of hotel rooms at attractive group rates in several categories of hotel ranging from budget to 5 star hotels. These rates are only available through the congress website.
You will find that all of these hotels offer quality lodging including breakfast. Most hotels have car park facilities. Barcelona is also very popular with youngsters and a large number of cheap youth hostels are located within walking distance, providing the delegates a general impression of Barcelona’s’ architectural and historic splendour. — ECSS
Share on Facebook