Dublin, Nov 02, 2018: Innovation and performance are at the heart of Innovative SIRIUS match ball launched, the official Rugby World Cup 2019™ match ball launched by tournament supplier Gilbert in Japan today.
Unveiled with exactly one year to go until the Rugby World Cup 2019 final, SIRIUS will make its debut in Saturday’s Japan versus New Zealand test in Tokyo, a match which sees the hosts take on the defending champions in a much-anticipated encounter.
• SIRIUS is the seventh-generation of Gilbert’s Rugby World Cup match ball
The ball will also use in test matches featuring all Rugby World Cup 2019 teams – where Gilbert balls will between now and the tournament, meaning the world’s best players will have plenty of competition time with the ball in advance of rugby’s showcase event.
It is also the most-tested Gilbert ball in history.
• SIRIUS takes its name from the Sirius star, the seventh-closest star to the Earth
Manufactured using the latest technology to promote the highest levels of consistency and performance, SIRIUS is an evolution of the successful Rugby World Cup 2015 MATCH XV ball, featuring a new grip pattern to enhance handling without compromising subtlety or durability.
The surface design has also been improved to enable quicker water dispersion.
• Innovative technology delivered enhanced grip and water-dispersion
The SIRIUS match ball takes its name from the Sirius star, the brightest star in the night sky, and shares important characteristics with its namesake:
• Sirius is the seventh-closest star to the Earth and SIRIUS is the seventh generation of Gilbert’s Rugby World Cup match ball
• It is the brightest star in the night sky, visible from both hemispheres, while SIRIUS symbolises teams from both hemispheres competing for rugby’s biggest prize
• The ball will be available to purchase from 1 December
World Rugby Chairman Bill Beaumont said: “From community clubs to test matches, Gilbert is a key player in rugby participation, enjoyment, competition and growth.
“By launching now, we are ensuring that the teams have the best-possible access to SIRIUS before Rugby World Cup 2019.”
• All teams to have extensive time with the ball before the tournament
Gilbert Rugby International Sales and Marketing Director Richard Gray added: “We extremely proud of our long-standing partnership with Rugby World Cup.
It provides us with the perfect platform to introduce another innovative, yet evolved match ball to the rugby world.
We are confident that the new SIRIUS match ball will allow the world’s best players to perform to their full potential and light up Rugby World Cup in Japan.
“It is our constant research, development and relentless drive to produce the best and most innovative products for rugby that sets Gilbert aside as the ball of choice for the world’s elite.” —- worldrugby
Share on Facebook