Doha – Qatar, Feb 25, 2013: The International Centre for Sport Security (ICSS) has announced that Wilfried Lemke, Special Adviser to the Secretary-General of the United Nations on Sport for Development and Peace, will speak at Securing Sport 2013, the leading international sport security and integrity conference.
Taking place on March 18-19 in Doha, Securing Sport 2013 will bring together 400 international experts and stakeholders to share knowledge and best practice in sport, safety, security and integrity under the theme of “Advancing the security and integrity of sport to safeguard the future”.
Mr Lemke of Germany leads and coordinates the efforts of the UN to promote understanding and support for sport as an instrument for development and peace. With over 25 years’ experience in sport and politics, Mr Lemke will deliver a keynote speech on “The Power of Sport to Erase Discrimination”.
Joining Mr Lemke at the conference is the Senior Adviser to the UEFA President, William Gaillard. Gaillard will take part in the panel session entitled “Securing Your Media Plan”. This session will explore how media planning can make or break the security plan for an event and examine how to engage effectively with the media and utilise social media.
Other high-profile speakers and leading figures already confirmed for this year’s conference include:
• John Abbott, Chair of the Interpol Integrity in Sport Steering Group
• Emanuel Macedo de Medeiros, CEO of the European Professional Football Leagues
• Juliette Kayyem, Lecturer in Public Policy at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government
• Leonard McCarthy, Vice President for Integrity at the World Bank
• Denis Oswald, President of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF) and the International Rowing Federation (FISA)
• Bill Bock, General Counsel, US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA)
• Hassan Al Thawadi, Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar™
• Sylvia Schenk, Senior Advisor for Sport at Transparency International
• Gérard Houllier OBE, Head of Global Soccer, Red Bull
• Alexander Atamanenko, CEO, Donbass Arena, Donetsk
• Lord Stevens, Chairman, ICSS Advisory Board and former Commissioner London’s Metropolitan Police
• Alessandro Del Piero, World Champion 2006, Captain of the Save the Dream elite athletes’ team
• John Amaechi OBE, Managing Director, Amaechi Performance Systems
Confirmed organisations attending Securing Sport 2013 include:
• 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar Supreme Committee
• 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Organising Committee
• Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games Organising Committee
• Qatar Olympic Committee
• International Cricket Council
• European Professional Football Leagues
• The FA Premier League
• German Football Association
• FC Barcelona
• Stade Rennes
• Hapoel Tel Aviv
• FC Toronto
• United States Anti-Doping Agency
• New York Yankees
• UK Ministry of Sports
• United Nations
• International Association of Chiefs of Police
• Court of Arbitration for Sport
• World Health Organization
Mohammed Hanzab, President of the ICSS, said: “We are delighted that Wilfried Lemke and William Gaillard will be joining us at Securing Sport 2013. Mr Lemke’s United Nations experience in sports development and Mr Gaillard’s expertise in international football will provide delegates with a first-hand account of how the power of sport has the ability to improve lives through development programmes and the media.
“I look forward to welcoming organisations from around the world, including leading international governing bodies, mega-event experts and world-class international athletes, for what I am sure will be an important platform for sharing information and exploring best practice in the field of sport, safety, security and integrity.”
Delegate passes for Securing Sport 2013 are selling quickly. To guarantee your place at Securing Sport 2013 and for further information, please visit http://www.securingsport.com/. If you are interested in becoming a partner, please contact [email protected] or telephone +44 20 7224 4004. Further speakers, panelists and events will be announced over the coming weeks. —- ICSS