Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia, September 2, 2012: following are the upcoming events of Olympic Council of Malaysia OCM.
• 13th OCM Executive Board Meeting 2012 – Tuesday, 4th September 2012 at 4.30 p.m. at OCM Boardroom, 1st Floor, Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur.
• Move Malaysia Forum – Sunday, 9th September 2012 at 9.30 am at Level 2C, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur.
• OCM-Carlsberg Athletes Retirement Scheme presentation to athletes who won medals in London 2012 Olympic Games – Monday, 10th September 2012 at 11.00 am, OCM Sports Museum and Hall of Fame, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Jalan Hang Jebat, Kuala Lumpur.
• CGF General Assembly 2012 – 28th September 2012, Kampala, Uganda
• 31st OCA General Assembly 2012 – 8th November 2012, Macau, China.
Condolence: The Office Bearers and members of OCM wish to extend our condolences to Encik Edwin Chong, Honorary Secretary of the Amateur Swimming Union Malaysia for the sad demise of his beloved wife, Madam Jovin Chin Swee Goor, who passed away peacefully on 30th August 2012, at the age of 60 years.
Move Malaysia Forum – 9th September 2012
OCM, through the initiative of Coca-Cola (Malaysia), applied for a grant of US$250,000/= for a two-year sports-health related programme, under the title “Move Malaysia”, to be organized jointly. The grant includes a budget for the employment of a full-time officer to implement the programme. The grant has been approved and is for the period July 2012 to June 2014. The programme comprises the following 3 sub-programmes: Exercise is Medicine, Nutritional Clinics and Community Active programmes. A brief description of each of the 3 sub-programmes is as show:-
Exercise Is Medicine (EIM)
Inactivity & obesity is becoming a drastic issue in Malaysia, which has a ripple effect on health issues. Most people are not aware of the implications behind inactivity as it is not the norm that doctors will “prescribe” exercise as a way to help prevent illness, also due to the lack of knowledge and confidence that health care providers have in advising their patients on exercising. The initial plan is to set up an EIM task force which will include Ministry of Health participation, carry out training and education for health care providers to confidently prescribe exercise within the limits of their practice, and symposiums to help build more awareness around the EIM initiative.
A key component to active living is also in leading a balanced lifestyle, and it is imperative to build these fundamentals especially with younger generation (who also happen to be the age group with the increase rate of obesity). Outreach to the community (such as schools, parents and teachers) will help provide them with proper nutritional and physical activity information that will eventually help provide proper education to the children. In the beginning, several “well-Being” clinics will be held in schools for the school-children. The clinics will be simple and fun information on the importance of eating right and keeping active and a more in-depth one for parents and teachers that can help provide them with knowledge and information that will help them in the up-bringing of their children as well. The clinics will be continued and expanded over the two years to build sustenance.
Community Active Programmes
As this is the year of the Olympics, it is a good opportunity to kick start and encourage people to be active and even take up a sport by organizing sporting activities and educating the community that sports is a great way to bond with friends and family while being active, and this is intended to be on-going and not just a one year programme.
The first activity, the Move Malaysia Forum, will be organized jointly by OCM and Coca-Cola Malaysia as follows:
Date: 9 September 2012 (Sunday). Time: 10.00 am onward
Venue: Level 2C, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Jalan Hang Jebat, 50150 Kuala Lumpur
The programme of the Forum is as follows:
• 09.30 am to 10.00 am: Registration
• 10.00 am to 10.20 am: Introduction: the obesity, diabetes and inactivity issue in Malaysia by Prof. Ismail (President MASO)
• 10.20 am to 10.40 am: Nutrition and Wellness talk by Dr. Maxime Buyckx (Director, Health and Wellness Programs , The Coca-Cola Company)
• 10.40 am to 11.00 am: Introduction & Sharing Session on Exercise is Medicine, an initiative by American College of Sports Medicine by Dr. Kelvin Chew (Senior Consultant, Deputy Head, Changi Sports Medicine Center & Exercise is Medicine Taskforce)
• 11.00 am to 11.20 am – Team break
• 11.20 am to 11.40 am – Move Malaysia by Y.Bhg. Tan Sri Dato’ Dr. M. Jegathesan
• 11.40 am to 12.40 pm – Discussions and brain storming
• 12.40 pm – Lunch
One of the outcome of the Forum is the formation of a ‘Exercise is Medicine’ Task Force.
Representatives of the health and medical sector, from the government and private, have been invited to attend and participate in the Forum. OCM Board members are cordially invited to attend the above Forum.
OCM-Carlsberg Athletes Retirement Scheme presentation to athletes who won medals in London 2012 Olympic Games – Monday, 10th September 2012 at 11.00 am, OCM Sports Museum and Hall of Fame, OCM Indoor Sports Complex, Jalan Hang Jebat, Kuala Lumpur. —- OCM