Doha, Feb 29, 2012: The International Centre for Sport Security (ICSS) has today announced that Magdy Abdel Ghany, President of the Egyptian Professional Footballers Association, will speak at its annual conference being held next month, 14 – 15 March 2012. The International Sport Security Conference, which brings together key decision-makers, experts and practitioners in sport from around the globe, is taking place in Doha, Qatar.
A former Egypt international footballer with over 90 caps for his country, Abdel Ghany is also a Board Member of the Egyptian Football Association. He has been at the forefront of calls to make football safer to help prevent such tragedies as were witnessed at Port Said in January this year.
Abdel Ghany will take part in the Conference panel entitled: Taking a Stand: Addressing Hooliganism and Violence in Football.
Joining Abdel Ghany on the panel is David Dein, Former Vice Chairman of the Football Association and one of the founding architects of the Premier League in England. Dein will present a new documentary on the formation of the Premier League and will discuss hooliganism, crowd management and stadium safety. Helmut Spahn, Executive Director of the ICSS and Head of Security for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, will also take part in the session.
Mohammed Hanzab, President of the ICSS, said: “Recent events in Egypt have tragically reminded us of the critical importance of hosting safe sporting events. The ICSS is committed to enhancing security and safety in the world of sport and as part of our role we are presenting this key session on hooliganism and violence in football at our annual Conference. Magdy Abdel Ghany and David Dein join a distinguished line-up of speakers at the International Sport Security Conference.
The event provides an important platform for sharing information and exploring best practice, as well as addressing the most pressing issues in sport today. The Conference is a must-attend event for organizing committees, bidding candidates, sport federations, sport security practitioners, and private sector organizations associated with major tournaments.”
Other speakers at the International Sport Security Conference include:
· Hassan Al-Thawadi, General Secretary of the Supreme Committee for the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar™
· Khoo Boon Hui, President, Interpol
· Lord John Stevens, Former Commissioner, London Metropolitan Police
· Sir Dave Richards, Chairman, Premier League
· Bernard Lapasset, Chairman, International Rugby Board
· Haroon Lorgat, Chief Executive, International Cricket Council
· Peter Ryan, Security Advisor to the International Olympic Committee (IOC)
· David Greer, Chief Executive, Skills for Security
· J Parrish, Director of Global Sports, AECOM
· Kevin Underwood, Vice President for Master Planning, AECOM
· Danny Jordaan, CEO, 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™
· Leonard McCarthy, Integrity Vice-President, World Bank
· Koh Peng Keng, Director of Sports, Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports, Singapore
· Nick Keller, Chairman, Sport Industry Group
· José Mariano Beltrame, Public Security Secretary, Rio de Janeiro
· Valdino Jacinto Caetano, National Secretary for Public Safety for Major Events, Ministry of Justice, Brazil
· Franco Ascani, Member of the IOC Commission for Culture and Olympic Education
· Liepollo Pheko, Director of Policy and Advocacy at South Africa’s Trade Collective
· Horst Schmidt, Vice President, Local Organizing Committee for 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™
· Shaun McCarthy, Director of Research and Knowledge Gathering, ICSS
High-profile delegates at this unique and exclusive gathering of the world’s leading sport security experts include:
· Bill Fallon, Former Commander, US Central Command
· Jeff Rees, Director, Tennis Integrity Unit
· Martha Rocha, Chief of Civil Police, Rio de Janeiro
· Colonel Erir Costa Filho, Commander of Military Police, Rio de Janeiro
· Sophie Dion, Advisor on sport to the President of the Republic, France and Director of Sports Law, Sorbonne University
· Sir Ronnie Flanagan, Chairman, Anti-Corruption and Security Unit, International Cricket Council
Further speakers and panelists will be announced over the coming weeks.
Egyptian Professional Footballers Association Egyptian Professional Footballers Association Egyptian Professional Footballers Association Egyptian Professional Footballers Association Egyptian Professional Footballers Association