IJF and FISU Sign a Cooperation Convention
Belek – Turkey, Apr 14, 2014: On the occasion of the recent SportAccord Convention, which took place in Belek, Turkey, from April 6-11, 2014, the IJF and the FISU (International University Sports Federation) signed an important collaboration convention. The document was signed by Marius Vizer, the IJF President, and by Eric Saintrond, the FISU Secretary General, who represented the FISU President, Professor Claude-Louis Gallien.
Marc Vandenplas, Director of the Summer Universiades and Nicolas Messner, IJF Media Director and IJF delegate to the Summer Universiades were also present.
Through the convention, FISU recognizes the interest in Judo and invites the National University Sport Federations (NUSF’s), the Organizing Committees of the FISU events to consider Judo as a reflection of the development of FISU and the interests of the University Sports movement. This convention will allow the development of real, effective and actionable collaboration between the FISU and the IJF.
Summer Universiade and/or World University Championships are considered by the IJF to be the highest possible level of event for those judoka who are students of higher/further education and is appointed in official IJF Calendar.
Among all the subjects that were discussed, the FISU and the IJF have decided to carry out initiatives to:
• Encourage the development of the training and competitions of Judo by all university students of both genders;
• Further encourage the implementation of women’s university sport;
• Identify and implement synergies between the two Federations on the Field of Play;
• Identify shared goals and objectives between FISU and IJF;
• Set up joint educational initiatives to protect Judo against the dangers of doping and violence;
• Establish a training and assessment unit for International Technical Officials;
• Promote sustainability, the concepts of fair-play and integrity, and join the fight against all forms of racism.
After the signing of the convention, Vizer declared: The FISU is a beautiful organization and it is a great honor for us to sign this convention. We have already been working for decades with the FISU but now our collaboration will be reinforced. Most of our athletes are students and we want to increase their educational level to support them throughout their sporting career. All our athletes are very proud for having participated in the FISU event and many of our World and Olympic Champions, one day, participated in the Universiade or the World University Championships. »
Vizer also explained: « We are now developing e-learning methods for athletes and coaches. It is very important that we stay in contact as close as possible to the university movement. Since last Septembre we have been implementing the IJF academy in partnership with the Semmelweis University in Budapest. We have projects in Turkey or in Spain as well. This cooperation convention will help us to strengthen our work. —- Photo © SportAccord by Vianney Thibaut